Learning organizations are strongest when they can validate and backup their decisions with facts and data. During my time as a Learning Manager for a large consulting firm we used data to determine how effective training had been, what technology to implement and what education programs we needed to roll out next. In today’s top organizations the approach is no different. One way that we are able to effectively determine and enhance a learning strategy is by leveraging assessments.
Assortments of Assessments
Like ice cream, assessments come in many different flavors. Learning organizations may use assessments in the form of surveys at the end of learning and development courses and initiatives or they may be evaluations that occur throughout the course of a training event, that have the goal of measuring the learners ability to pick up a new concept or skill. Assessments may be delivered via appraisal processes, certification exams, post training demonstrations or interviews. How one organization conducts assessments may be extremely different from another, but the results of assessments are powerful when analyzed and used effectively.
5 Reasons Assessments Are Valuable
Why are assessments valuable to learning and development leaders? There are 5 key reasons we must point out.
- Assessments can identify how the people in your organization measure up on various skills and gives you a foundation of learning on which to build.
- Assessments provide a road map for an effective learning strategy by identifying gaps and making it easy to pinpoint weak areas of your organization where further training and development may prove effective.
- If used in the recruiting and new hire process assessments can decrease ramp up time by highlighting the talents employees are bringing into the organization and what tools and training will help them quickly add value to the organization.
- Assessments in the form of evaluations or tests may be leveraged to assure that an organization is meeting compliance guidelines with regards to policies or business regulations.
- Assessments make creating and justifying learning budgets easier. Leaders will know where to spend time and money based on real metrics.
Want to Know More About Assessments?
We invite you to learn more about the value of assessments during our Elearning! Web Seminar at 10:00 AM PST/1:00 PM EST this Thursday, November 17th, 2011 during our free webinar, “The Value of Assessments.” Steven Just, founder of Pedagogue Solutions will discuss:
- How assessments, in their various forms, can be of benefit to learning initiatives and other areas of business
- What key principles need apply to assessments so that they can be effective
- How best to ensure that they can deliver meaningful data, which can be acted upon
Register now for this free web session.
Share with us on this blog how you have leveraged assessments in your organizations and any benefits or lessons learned that you think will help our community of professionals.